Did You Know?
Easy Actions Now. . . Fewer Costs Down the Road!
A regular schedule of preventative home maintenance is your best tool against repair inflation! Just a few simple actions now can keep your home and appliances better protected and thwart a host of expensive problems down the road.
Here are a few items to put on your to-do list:
- Storm Windows: inspect them, clean them if needed, and seal holes. This will save you on heating/cooling costs.
- Smoke/CO Detectors: Spring is a great time to change all batteries in your smoke and carbon monoxide detector devices to ensure they are always in working order. Also, check product replacement dates located on each device.
- Wood-Burning Fireplace: Have your fireplace inspected and flue/chimney cleaned out by a licensed professional to prevent chimney fires and carbon monoxide poisoning. Service providers often offer discounts in the late spring or early summer before their busy season in the fall/winter.
- Heating System: Contact a licensed heating contractor to inspect and service your gas heater or furnace to avoid carbon monoxide poisoning. Your local utility company will often provide this service for free. During the fall and winter months, check your heating system air filter and replace it if needed on a regular basis. Follow your filter’s recommended replacement intervals.
- Faucet Aerators: To prevent mineral deposit build up and loss of effectiveness, clean faucet aerators and shower heads with vinegar to get rid of mineral deposits.
- Frost-Free Refrigerator: Clean the drain pan on your frost-free refrigerator and vacuum your refrigerator’s coils to ensure your fridge runs at peak efficiency and to prolong the life of its compressor.
- Registers, Returns and Vents: Vacuum heat registers, returns and vents monthly to keep airflow optimized. Clean floor registers more frequently, especially if you have pets.